MkLinux - Linux on the OSF Microkernel
Status as of November 1998
- This page is no longer being maintained by The Open Group,
since The Open Group Research Institute is no longer active in
- This page is being maintained (somewhat sporatically)
by the Central Iowa (Model)
Railroad who is hosting the ftp server upon which the
HPPA distribution currently resides.
- General information on mkLinux can be found at the mkLinux
Project's home page
for PowerMacs has a user base of well over a hundred
thousands since its launch by Apple at their World Wide Developer's
Conference in May 1996.
- PowerMac : The DR3 CDROM release is being finalized. The
system has come out of the "bleeding edge" and now
includes a full RedHat-based installation, including full
shared library support, A full JDK with JIT compiler is
available and Netscape Communicator has been ported to
mklinux/powermac. Support for many new machines is included
- Massive demand at tradeshows and in the Apple Company Store!
eg. MacWorld, Jan '97 - MkLinux DR2 CDROMs sold out within two days
at all vendor's stands.
MkLinux Homepage continues to receive millions of hits.
- Support for PCI machines - MkLinux now runs on an even wider
range of PowerMacs,
including most NuBus, PCI, PCI performa and G3 machines. RealTime
and MP support has been developed and is in testing.
- MkLinux DR3 is being finalized for PowerMacs and will be
available on CDROM
or via anonymous
- Regular updates are made available over
the internet and announced via the mklinux mailing lists at Apple.
Development work continues at Apple.
- See also one of our engineer's web pages on MkLinux for PowerMacs.
- MkLinux for Intel x86 machines - the TOG MK source tree and
MkLinux server source tree build and run on Intel x86 machines
and we run MkLinux on Intel machines here. We aren't
making binary distributions available, the mklinux sources
(available at Apple or from the HP distributions) can be used
to generate the Intel binaries.
has provided support for a port of MkLinux to the HP PA-RISC
- A snapshot of MkLinux for HP PA-RISC machines is now available
for download by
ftp. The MkLinux for PA-RISC distribution provides a
bootable system with X11R6, the sources for the Open Group
Research Institute Microkernel and the Linux server, together
with the installation notes.
- Additional information can be found on the MkLinux for PA-RISC Web page.
Send comments, suggestions, and problem reports about this server to the
WWW archivist firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified :
Fri Oct 15 15:32:49 CDT 1999 by email@example.com
Copyright 1997-9, The Open Group
Copyright 1999, the Central Iowa (Model) Railroad